What ChatGPT is
ChatGPT is a large language model trained by OpenAI. Essentially, an artificial intelligence designed to assist users by generating human-like text based on the prompts given. It can answer questions and provide information on a wide range of topics, and it can also engage in conversation to a limited degree with a user to help understand better what’s being asked of it.
It also can refer back to previous statements in the “Chat” so if we ask it to create an “Avatar” at the beginning of a conversation, then if we say, can we create an example text for our “Avatar” it will know what we’re referring to. It infers meanings as well so if you use less than perfect grammar it still can make a valiant effort to respond in a meaningful way. Like any good ‘assistant’ it will ask questions to try and help create clearer responses.
ChatGPT theVirtual Assistant – Part 1
In this first article we are going to look at how a hypothetical SMB could use the system to help it find customers, create a loyalty program and generate a copy for an event. The concept here is to practically apply ChatGPT in a useful, tangible way so that you can see ways to apply it to your business model.
What is ChatGPT currently capable of doing
ChatGPT is really just a competent face on top of a complex pile of information which allows you to ask a question and have it pull that information from what it has access to on the internet.
While Google helps you find sites that you need, ChatGPT has moved onto collating and presenting what you need from the web in a meaningful and understandable way. In many respects it’s like the computer from a science fiction show like “Star Trek” you ask and it answers.
Questions that people are asking it include:
- A wide range of topics, such as science, history, mathematics, technology, and current events
- Definitions or explanations of certain terms or concepts
- How to do or accomplish something
- Getting recommendations or advice on various topics
- Asking for help with a specific problem or task
Let’s give an example of a business centric conversation and the potential benefits that this assistant can have. For this we’ll create an imaginary startup business and then show how that business might work with ChatGPT to help itself grow.
Welcome to ‘Traditions Cafe’
Okay, let’s take a look at an imaginary coffee house startup in Golden Gate Heights, San Francisco. It wants to inspire feelings of family, no wifi, traditional values and ethical roots. It’s called “Traditions Cafe”
So there are a number of things we need here, customers for sure, copy for marketing, systems of outreach, loyalty programs etc. We’ll start with the basics, customers, who can we expect to attract in the area.
Question – Customer Avatar:
“Can you create a customer avatar for a Coffee house located in Golden Gate Heights, San Francisco, called, “Traditions Cafe”, which wants to inspire feelings of family, no wifi, traditional values and ethical roots?”
Response from ChatGPT:
ChatGPT tends to repeat the question asked at the start of its response, usually adding information or questions about aspects of the question if it’s not sure. So we’ve removed that for brevity unless it asked clarifying questions that seemed interesting.
Occupation: Software Developer
Personality: Jeremy is a tech-savvy individual who values tradition and ethical practices. He is drawn to the coffee house’s no-wifi policy and traditional values, as it allows him to disconnect from work and focus on spending quality time with friends and family.
Goals: Jeremy is looking for a place to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee while catching up with friends or family. He values the ambiance of the coffee house and appreciates the opportunity to disconnect from technology and connect with loved ones.
Challenges: Jeremy may have concerns about the availability of wifi, as he relies on it for work. He may also struggle to find the time to visit the coffee house, as he has a busy schedule.
Values: Family, tradition, relaxation, and ethical practices are important to Jeremy. He values the ambiance and atmosphere of the coffee house and enjoys the opportunity to disconnect from technology.
Feedback and thoughts
Okay, well first off holy cow, that’s a nice potential customer generator right there. We went through a range of prompts and interestingly all of the challenges included one thing concerns about the availability of wifi. So perhaps we should remove that element from our business idea at least for now. The other major issue was the struggle to find time to visit the ‘Traditions Cafe” due to workload.
Already, that could help our business think about ways to address those issues and challenges. If for example we adapted the question to the following:
“Can you create a customer avatar for a Coffee house located in Golden Gate Heights, San Francisco, called, “Traditions Cafe”, which wants to inspire feelings of family, has wifi, is open hours after the rush hour, a place to relax instead of waiting in traffic, traditional values and ethical roots?”
Occupation: Public Relations Manager
Personality: Rachel values family and tradition, and is drawn to the coffee house’s ethical roots and traditional values. She appreciates the availability of wifi and the extended hours, as it allows her to relax and unwind after a long day at work instead of sitting in traffic.
Goals: Rachel is looking for a place to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee while catching up with friends or family. She values the ambiance of the coffee house and appreciates the opportunity to connect with loved ones.
Challenges: Rachel may have a busy schedule that makes it difficult for her to visit the coffee house during traditional business hours.
Values: Family, tradition, relaxation, and ethical practices are important to Rachel. She values the ambiance and atmosphere of the coffee house and enjoys the opportunity to relax and unwind after a long day at work.
We can already see that particular phrases like, “is drawn to the coffee house’s …” is pretty formulaic and in stark contrast to the original says how she appreciates the wifi instead of the lack of wifi.
Creating a Loyalty Scheme for Traditions Cafe
Question – Loyalty schemes:
Here is where some of the real crazy powers of ChatGPT can be brought to bear by asking the assistant to generate things based on previous answers. So we wrote the following:
“Give me 3 types of loyalty schemes that the avatar might respond well to.”
Response from ChatGPT
Here are three types of loyalty schemes that Rachel, the customer avatar I created, might respond well to:
- Point-based loyalty program: In this type of loyalty scheme, customers earn points for each purchase they make, which can be redeemed for rewards or discounts. This type of program can be appealing to Rachel because it allows her to choose from a variety of rewards and provides a sense of progress as she accumulates points.
- Tiered loyalty program: In a tiered loyalty program, customers progress through different levels based on their spending or other activity, and are rewarded with increasingly valuable perks and benefits as they move up the tiers. Rachel might find this type of program appealing because it offers a sense of exclusivity and encourages her to continue engaging with the brand in order to reach higher tiers.
- Rewards-based loyalty program: In a rewards-based loyalty program, customers are rewarded with special perks or discounts based on their past purchases or other activity. This type of program could be appealing to Rachel because it offers a sense of personalization and can surprise and delight her with unexpected rewards.
Creating an SMS campaign for our Loyalty Program
Question – Text our Avatar about our new Loyalty program:
Next step is to let our customer know about one of the programs. We can use an SMS service like CCAI to launch personalized messages immediately. But let’s ask our ChatGPT assistant for an example.
“Write me an informal text message for the avatar to sell the Rewards-based loyalty program”
Response from ChatGPT
“Hey Rachel! Just wanted to let you know about the new rewards-based loyalty program we’re launching at Traditions Cafe. You’ll earn points for every purchase you make, which you can redeem for exclusive perks and discounts. Plus, we’ll be sending out surprise rewards to our top customers from time to time. It’s our way of saying thanks for your support. Hope to see you at the cafe soon!”
Feedback and thoughts
Okay, a few points here for one, the craziest thing about the above text, did you spot it? It mentions ‘Traditions Cafe’ even though that wasn’t in the question, ChatGPT is smart enough to understand that this conversation is all related and that the rewards program is related back to our hypothetical cafe.
The same kind of prompt “Write me an x for the avatar to sell the y” could be used to format a lot of different options here
- Write me a formal email for an angry customer to apologize for the staff member being rude
- Write me a short sms offering a discount to the avatar + one friend for all drinks during rush hour
- Write copy for a global coffee taste-testing event this Friday at Traditions Cafe with a live DJ for all current customers.
That last one about a taste-testing event got the following response which blew us away.
Attention all coffee lovers! Traditions Cafe is excited to announce a global coffee taste-testing event this Friday, featuring live music from a talented DJ.
Join us at our Golden Gate Heights location to sample some of the finest brews from around the world, all while enjoying the upbeat vibes of our live DJ. This event is open to all current customers and is our way of saying thank you for your continued support.
Don’t miss out on this chance to expand your coffee palate and have a great time with fellow coffee enthusiasts. See you there!
Creating a Terms and Conditions for our new scheme
Question – Write a Terms and Conditions
So the Traditions Cafe is implementing a loyalty program, it needs terms and conditions for that, let’s ask our ChatGPT Assistant to provide us with something.
“Create a brief Terms and Conditions document for the Traditions Cafe rewards-based loyalty program.”
Response from ChatGPT
Terms and Conditions
The Traditions Cafe rewards-based loyalty program (the “Program”) is designed to reward our valued customers for their loyalty and support. By participating in the Program, you agree to the following terms and conditions:
- Eligibility: The Program is open to all individuals who are at least 18 years of age and who have a valid email address. Employees of Traditions Cafe are not eligible to participate in the Program.
- Earning Points: Points may be earned by making purchases at Traditions Cafe, participating in certain promotions or events, or completing certain activities as determined by Traditions Cafe in its sole discretion. Points have no cash value and cannot be redeemed for cash.
- Redeeming Points: Points may be redeemed for rewards or discounts as determined by Traditions Cafe in its sole discretion. The available rewards and discounts may vary from time to time.
- Expiration of Points: Points will expire if there is no activity in the Program account for a period of 12 months.
- Changes to the Program: Traditions Cafe reserves the right to modify, suspend, or terminate the Program or any aspect of it at any time without notice. Any changes to the Program will be posted on the Traditions Cafe website.
- Limitation of Liability: Traditions Cafe shall not be liable for any damages arising out of the Program or the use of any rewards or discounts.
- Governing Law: These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California.
By participating in the Program, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions. If you do not agree to these terms and conditions, you should not participate in the Program.
Feedback and thoughts
Okay, this is not a legal document and probably needs a lawyer to look over it (for now), but it’s a huge step in a direction that should make a lot of people writing and verifying such documents sweat a little. Again, unprompted, it mentioned the governing law in California because we (at the beginning) stated that this cafe was based in Golden Gate Heights.
Conclusions for Part 1
Okay, considering this is a system that is only 3 or 4 years old. We are going to see a sea change in the coming years that may even cause Google headaches.
Share Your Message with an SMS Campaign Today!
We make it fast, easy, and affordable to send compliant SMS, Email, and Voice campaigns.